Daily departures starting 7th December!
This full day small group guided e-bike tour is an absolute ‘must do’ experience for active visitors to Tamaki Makaurau, Auckland.
The day gets underway at our base in Auckland city with gear fit-out and safety briefing. A pleasant ride through the Wynyard Quarter provides an opportunity to test out the e-bike before we board the ferry for the short, scenic ride to Rangitoto Island.
From here, the tour begins in earnest, exploring Rangitoto; the youngest, most iconic volcano in the Auckland region followed by a tour of neighbouring island, Motutapu-a-Taikehu; one of the oldest islands and now Auckland’s largest working farm.
This product came to life through a partnership between Ngāi Tai ki Tāmaki and Adventure Capital, in relationship with the Department of Conservation.
Tour highlights include:
- Maori history – hear the stories of the island’s earliest settlers, Ngāi Tai ki Tāmaki who gave these islands the name of their ancestor, Peretū.
- Spectacular views – 360-degree views across the Hauraki Gulf and the Auckland skyline.
- Pōhutukawa forest – these ancient looking trees cover Rangitoto, providing beautiful gladed sections of trail which bloom bright red in early summer.
- Endangered bird life – get up close and personal with some of NZ’s rarest birds including the Saddleback and Takahē, easily spotted whilst riding the islands.
- Volcanic history – marvel at the lava fields of Rangitoto and the now bush clad crater near the summit.
- Stunning beaches – enjoy a swim at one of the pristine beaches visited during the tour.
- European arrival – discover charming baches (holiday homes) and remnants of military emplacements.
- Farm animals – encounter sheep and cattle at the large working farm on Motutapu-a-Taikehu.
Professional guides will accompany you throughout the day, ensuring your comfort and enjoyment.
This is an active tour and you will need a moderate level of fitness to make the most of this experience.
Retail Price: NZ$349 per person
Duration: Full day tour – 8 hrs
Total riding distance: 32 kms
Inclusions: Guide/s, e-mountain bike, helmet, return ferry tickets, picnic lunch, bottled water
Group size: Maximum 10 people.
Grade 3-4: Participants must be able to ride a bike, confidently and unassisted. Biking route includes significant hill climbs and descents made easier with the e-mountain bikes included as standard on this tour. Participants must be comfortable riding on gravel and dirt trails. A moderate level of fitness is required to make the most of this experience.